Golden Hamsters have cheek pouches-Golden Hamsters are excellent diggers
Golden Hamster Facts
Golden Hamster is a member of the rodent family. Scientific name of Golden Hamster is Mesocricetus Auratus.
- Golden Hamsters are popular as pets as well as animals that are useful for researches.
- Golden Hamsters were found by a British scientist George Robert Waterhouse in Syria in the year 1839. A Jerusalem scientist has taken a female Golden Hamster and its children to Israel in the year 1930. From there these animals have spread to other countries.
- Golden Hamsters are popular as pets.
- These have wide feet. Stocky legs. Furry ears.
- Common golden hamsters grow up to 34 cm long.
- Hamsters are nocturnal and are excellent diggers. They construct burrows that have more than one entrance for food storage, nesting etc.
- The diet of golden hamsters consists of grains, fruits, green parts of plants, roots, invertebrates and other animals.
- Hamsters have cheek pouches.
- Breeding season of hamsters is April to October and the gestation period is 13 to 22 days.