Indri mammals live in small groups-Indri eats fruits, flowers and seeds
Indri is a mammal that is found is Madagascar region and is one of the largest living lemurs. Indri is also called the Babakoto. Babakoto means in local language means father of a child or ancestor.
- Scientists assume that Babakotos came to Madagascar from African region at least five crore years back.
- Indri grows 80 cms tall and their tail will be only 5 cms long.
- Indri can run with a speed of 32 kms per hour.
- The diet of Indri consists mainly of leaves, flowers, seeds, fruits etc.
- Babakotos live in small groups.
- Gestation period of Indri is sixty days. The babies depend on their mother for two years and both the parents take care of the young ones.
- Means of communication for Indri is they sing.
- Deforestation and global warming are causing threat to the existence of Indri.
- As the reproduction rate of Indri is very slow, these have been listed as the endangered species.