Panda interesting facts-Panda cubs are born blind
There are two species in Pandas and they are Giant Panda and Red Panda. Scientific name of Pandas is Ailuropoda Melanoleuca which means black and white cat footed animals.
- Giant pandas are found mostly in China and Tibet.
- Red pandas are found in Bhutan, China, India, Laos, Myanmar and Nepal.
- Pandas usually live in areas which are at least 2,700 – 3,700 meters above the sea level in natural forests.
- Average height of panda is 4 – 5 feet.
- Average weight of panda is 75 – 135 kilograms.
- Male pandas are heavier than females.
- Giant pandas are larger than Red pandas.
- Lifespan of pandas is 18 – 25 years in wild.
- Main food of pandas if Bamboo.
- Red pandas also eat fruits.
- Each panda eats about 80 pounds bamboo per day.
- Pandas are active at night.
- Pandas have better eye sight at night.
- Pandas can climb trees.
- The sound made by pandas is called ‘Bleat’.
- Pandas are white with black fur across their shoulder, arm, legs, ears and around the yes.
- Pandas are carnivores. They feed mostly upon stems and leaves of Bamboo and sometimes they also eat flowers, mushroom, fish, vines, grass and small rodents.
- Pandas have to eat a lot as they can digest only 20% of what they eat.
- Pandas communicate by rubbing acidic smelling substance on tree trunks and stones.
- Pandas identify each other with the help of acidic smelling substance.
- Pandas also communicate vocally.
- Pandas breed once in a year.
- Gestation period of pandas is eight weeks. One to two cubs are born to a female panda.
- Mother panda abandons the weak cub which dies after birth.
- Young pandas are born blind and have white skin.