Starfish Interesting Facts-Starfishes can regenerate lost arms
Starfish are marine animals that are found in many colors, shapes and sizes. These resemble a star and thus called starfish.
- Starfishes are not fishes.
- Starfish is a marine creature that belongs to the group of Echinodermata. There are more than 2000 species of starfishes.
- Starfish is also called ‘Sea star’.
- There generally appear in star shape with five arms but many have arms up to 10, 20 and 40.
- Some species of starfishes weigh very less while some weigh up to five kilograms.
- Starfishes are generally in red, orange, yellow and pink colors.
- The mouth of starfish is located at the centre of the body.
- The body structure of starfish helps it to crawl under sea.
- Starfishes can regenerate arms that are lost.
- Starfishes do not have blood in their body but have water vascular system.
- Starfishes have hundreds of tube feet under their body.
- Starfishes feed on small fish, snails and barnacles.
- Starfishes have an eye at the end of each arm that looks like a red spot and can sense light and dark.
- Starfishes have two stomachs.
- Starfishes are found in all oceans and they are not found in freshwaters.